Hero6
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024 04:48

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elo!
PostPosted: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:11 
Casual Adventurer

Hi guys!

Most of you probably already know me as the guy who made the Hero6 videos and the QFG fan projects tribute page at Blake's Sanctum.

I see Hero6 has a nice new forum again these days so I thought I'd better sign up! :)

Hows things going?

Last edited by Blake00 on Sat, 15 Oct 2016 05:12, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Elo!
PostPosted: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:56 
Site Admin

Blake00 wrote:
Hi guys!

Most of you probably already know me as the guy who made the Hero6 videos and the QFG fan project tribute page at Blake's Sanctum.

I see Hero6 has a nice new forum these days so I thought I'd better sign up! :)

Hows things going?

Hey Blake! Haven't spoken to you in a few months!

Things are pretty quiet, but progress continues. ChamberOfFear has been working on some implementation testing in Unity. We decided earlier this year that the entire code base needed an overhaul and we're considering moving from AGS to Unity. We have nothing against AGS though.

Earlier this year, we revisited our game design document and beefed up a lot of the lore and background stories. I've started researching English/Celtic lore and fairy tales to see where we can improve on our theme.

Lately, my spare time is spent working on Hero-U, but I manage to find time to keep all the Hero6.org services running. Most of the Hero6 related chatter occurs on our Slack channel. The Slack channel is private, but I have a bot sitting on our IRC channel that allows for two-way communication if anyone wants to drop us a line.

Anyone interested in development can be added to the Slack channel though. Just drop me a direct message or email and I'll add you. Otherwise, we're at reachable at irc.hero6.org #Hero6

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

PostPosted: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 03:36 
Glory Hound

robertkety wrote:
we're considering moving from AGS to Unity. We have nothing against AGS though.

I just want to elaborate on this a little.

Currently development on the source code is slow or non-existant mostly because the plot and game design document needs to be cemented. There's no point in implementing features and story into the game just to find out later that wasn't what we wanted after all.

To fill the void in the meantime I've been doing some personal experimenting on how viable it is to make a retro point n' click adventure game in Unity easy. The reasons for considering another engine is because AGS has certain flaws and weaknesses. I don't feel like making a list, but the two most important ones is that it has poor support for multi-collaberation (which is kind of alpha-omega on open-source projects) and it has lacking cross-platform support.

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 23:15 
Casual Adventurer

Wow.. an engine change is a scary sentence in the fan game world. Many a project has disappeared after attempting one. I'd recommend only attempting it if you're confident that you can do it without too much trouble.

Glad to hear progress continues though, you guys have done a truly amazing job collecting, collating and working with 15+ years of assets. :)

Wow Robert I didn't realise you were part of the Hero-U team! What job do you do for the Coles?

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 04:35 
Glory Hound

Blake00 wrote:
Wow.. an engine change is a scary sentence in the fan game world. Many a project has disappeared after attempting one. I'd recommend only attempting it if you're confident that you can do it without too much trouble.

Hency my statement "To fill the void in the meantime I've been doing some personal experimenting on how viable it is to make a retro point n' click adventure game in Unity easy." It's all prototyping for now, what happens later will hinge on my assessment on wether it's worth the hassle or not.

Also I failed to mention this in my previous post but there are certain circumstances regarding artistic ownership of the writing in the current prototype that puts us in a spot where we need to remove it. It actually may be easier to start a new game project than to filter out all writing-related content. Which makes the penalty of swithcing game engine less than it first appears.

Blake00 wrote:
Glad to hear progress continues though, you guys have done a truly amazing job collecting, collating and working with 15+ years of assets. :)

Yes, unfortunately we've spent more time on collecting and organizing assets than development. There was a lot to find and figure out to say the least. But if a game doesn't come out of this, at least we have collected and preserved a piece of history.

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 08:56 
Site Admin

Blake00 wrote:
Wow Robert I didn't realise you were part of the Hero-U team! What job do you do for the Coles?

Professionally speaking, I'm a software engineer. I do a little bit of everything (except art) for Hero-U, like programming and UI. I wrote the audio manager last month and this month I'm working on implementing scenes with art assets provided by our art team.

It's been a fantastic experience and a terrific opportunity.

If you want to know more about the Hero-U team, this is an excellent "Who are we" article: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tr ... ts/1262872

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 04:25 
Casual Adventurer

Hey Robert & Chamber!

Thought I'd drop by and see you both were going. :) Hard to believe a year's gone by. Had a lot of RL dramas and didn't work on my website for a while so I lost track of a lot of things.

Am working on my QFG site atm updating various things in preparation for the release of my QFG4 3D fan project and thought I'd pay this place a visit!

Got a bit quiet hasn't it! Perhaps if I put some "Hero6 needs your help, come visit the forums" banners on my Hero6 videos it'll bring some more fans here as they still get some nice traffic. Saw on your fb page that you've been acquiring some writing talent in recent months which is good to see.

I see the're been a few demo releases since I last looked. I'll have to check out your latest one! Maybe I should do a new video!

Hope you guys are well! :)

Ps How's the Hero-U dev going Rob? Sometimes I worry about the Coles getting buried in debt & stress when I read Corey's emails!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]