Hero6
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024 06:06

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: hello!
PostPosted: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 19:55 
Casual Adventurer

well im new to the forums

found a nice guy on QFI forums and wanted to help out

first Ill note that the game when installed, doesnt work according to windows says didnt install properly

if you run with any filters the game flickers and mouse doesnt move

as the start of the game goes, the red font color is bad! change that!
and the intro animations just froze with most people unable to be talked to 2 guys at the gate, beast near the barn,
nothing really works

ill get into the game more,

also reroll does nothing (this should be called reset)
as reroll means u have a chance to increase stats if you roll enough times

anyway let me know what I should input on.
there are loads of items that need descriptions and such, and people that need to be talked to
even the inv looking at your dagger or weapon does nothing

and hello im kal from california age 36 and I love qfg style games
worked on many o games so let me know how I can help the most!

Post subject: Re: hello!
PostPosted: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 20:38 
Glory Hound

kaldire wrote:
found a nice guy on QFI forums and wanted to help out

Why thank you.

kaldire wrote:
first Ill note that the game when installed, doesnt work according to windows says didnt install properly

Could you be more specific? The game is pre-installed and compressed into a zip-file. There shouldn't be an installer.

kaldire wrote:
if you run with any filters the game flickers and mouse doesnt move

I was unable to recreate this issue, but this should be a problem related to individual graphic cards and the Game Engine. I'll add a ticket to Sourceforge for people to research.

kaldire wrote:
as the start of the game goes, the red font color is bad! change that!

This has been known for a while, but apparently no one thought of adding it to the bug tracking system. This must be remedied.

kaldire wrote:
and the intro animations just froze with most people unable to be talked to 2 guys at the gate, beast near the barn,
nothing really works

This is already known. I've ignored this personally because the plot and puzzles are currently in works, the entire sequence might end up getting removed altogether, we'll see how it turns out with time.

kaldire wrote:
also reroll does nothing (this should be called reset)
as reroll means u have a chance to increase stats if you roll enough times

Makes sense to me, ticket!

kaldire wrote:
and hello im kal from california age 36 and I love qfg style games
worked on many o games so let me know how I can help the most

Hi, great to have you on board. Your help is much appreciated. Do you have any specific skills? Or are there areas of gamemaking you prefer most to work with?

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 15:47 
Casual Adventurer

well 1st off hello again!

as for my skills, I used to work with sierra online in socal, at the oakhurst facility
on a few KQ games,
even worked on the remake or tangled which was then changed to silver lining (cesar)
but with issues with activision we all were forced to shut both projects down

I worked testing item descriptions and fixing lines in code some is simple like & before the say command so that the speech matches instead of spitting code out

after my sierra work (and yep I was young and testing parser and adding words to the dictionary and testing pathing and items on everyting)
I love parser interface

so after that I did try intern at LucasArts, which I ended up doing well.. kinda playtesting, but more meeting people and getting my feelers out, until LA left (most) and made telltale games
which ive helped on some of the older games
Sam n max season 1 all eps
Strong bads game for attractive people all eps but the final one
Monkey island season 1 all eps
and finally Jurassic park
then I had to leave due to, a bad divorce though I was almost hired (was an intern)

working with Mark Darin(knew him before TTG when he made his own games) and Jake Rodkin(knew him from message boards of LA games and sam n max)
Also I hung out at Steve Purcells house with him and mike (creator of hellboy)
we even played fizzball
steve is a great guy, so was most of TTG crew , which have now, long since left
mark is still there but most of the people I knew are gone and made their own sites or companies

Not sure what you mean in terms of specific skills in terms of the ags etc
but ive worked and tested on many o games, offering input to fix issues or solve puzzles for the simple folk (one such thing was telling dave and mark to add slime near a plunger to allow gamers to know where to use it, then add slime near where you need to use it.) hard to explain unless you played strongbad

as for what I meant about the error in the game installer
its both exes
when I run the setup, it runs, if I change to any filter, the game doesnt work
and once I click SAVE and then exit windows says this didnt install right
so I say OH YES IT DID and yet it still pops up each time

same with the games exe

as for the filter issues, would you like a vid of what happens when I change to even 2x filter at 640x480?
the mouse cursor doesnt move and only thing to do is taskmanager kill process

anyway I have a long history working with many o great minds
roberta used to give me gifts (as I started with mail in what they called the mail room) then she saw me testing games and just asked me to continue to do so
then ken and I would have chats about hacking and the old days

ahh
I miss it..

also Im dedicated and put any time or effort in promotions and cons like SDCC or ape etc in SF CA

to add to my mini resume, I used to work for epitaph records as a promotional adviser and tour manager assistant finding clubs making websites for fans, and flogging merch as well as doing photos and interviews and vids.
I worked for Bad Religion (my friends) since 1993-2010 again until my divorce
my company was called Kalifunfans

not sure what that has to do with gaming but, shows im dedicated

btw dont judge me by my posting and syntax issues in forums haha

cheers and let me know what ya think!
nice meeting ya!
my name is steve but even in real life most call me Kal
since shouting STEVE at a con or concert makes about 1000 people turn vs Kal

kal= california dire= well dnd term google it haha
kaldire=nerd

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 23:52 
Casual Adventurer

Let me know what you specifically would like feedback on

Do you need help writing anything in terms of descriptions for viewable or clickable objs?

help with pathways
broken quests
inv mishaps
improper syntax in text npc or you
animation bugs
lack of clickable objects or objects not being able to be viewed (about 50% of things in game and inv dont let you click the eye or mouth on it)
overall how we like it?
stats ? (should have a description of what the stats do in a help section, or pdf or txt file)
most doors cant be clicked on or looked at much-less entered
also ive looked at the hex and .. could .. add descriptions to some things, id have to figure out the location and xy on it,
or could offer suggestions

what ya need mates?
Im here to please and help

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 05:04 
Glory Hound

kaldire, I would appreciate it greatly if you could take it easy on the amount of things you write about in a single post. It was a lot of information to process, and as a result I took a long time to reply.

kaldire wrote:
Not sure what you mean in terms of specific skills in terms of the ags etc

I didn't mention AGS in that context, but what I meant is, do you know game design, programming, drawing, animation, testing, etc.?

kaldire wrote:
as for what I meant about the error in the game installer
its both exes
when I run the setup, it runs, if I change to any filter, the game doesnt work
and once I click SAVE and then exit windows says this didnt install right
so I say OH YES IT DID and yet it still pops up each time

I see, however this is something that is not in our control. This is a communication problem between Windows and Adventure Game Studio, and since we're developing neither all we can do is wait for AGS to be updated, and hopefully it'll go away. Additionally it's not an error, it's just Windows asking if you're sure that the process ran and finished correctly. Does this occur when you run hero6.exe as well?

kaldire wrote:
as for the filter issues, would you like a vid of what happens when I change to even 2x filter at 640x480?

Yes please, it would be easier if I see what I'm dealing with. But I feel that I should mention that the filters are also mostly out of our control, as it is a Game Engine thing. The problem most likely lies with the engine having a problem with your specific graphic card. Try updating your drivers to the latest version, if that doesn't work, we'll have to see if any more updates will come out for AGS soon. I'll make a ticket for research of filter issues just in case there is something we can do about this.

kaldire wrote:
Let me know what you specifically would like feedback on

You've mentioned missing descriptions a couple of times now. No work has started on descriptions, if you have the time to make a list of missing descriptions, faulty descriptions, etc. it would be greatly appreciated. If I receive such a list I could move them over to a spread sheet for easy overview. An item of the list should contain room, object, cursor, status, text. In the first iteration of the list, text can be ignored, or just put the text that is already there if it exists, it's much more important to get the spread sheet set up, so that others can also join in.

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:56 
Casual Adventurer

sorry
Told you early, please forgive my syntax and structure

Not sure how one would like me to post, with brackets or something or just less in one post.

as far as ags goes, no to animations, though I did mess around with em
yes to programming, testing and game design, even did story boards but im no artist I just have a great creative mind, but no medium to put it on or in :P

Ill try to replicate that glitch with the filters and upload a youtube vid for you today. Yes it happens with both setup and hero6 exe's
My ati card is up to date, even tried rollback and beta drivers just to be sure. (example Psychonauts requires 13.2 driver to run the game)
Ill test with that after making the vid.

and yes I know its just windows seeing it as not a compatible install not as an error (issue is that most time you can say "this installed correctly" and it wont show up again, but this shows up each time I run it.

Did you want me to use the public ags sprite spreadsheet for descriptions or something like it?
(not sure in your game how to tell what room is what) but everything else I can do for ya

again sorry for the long posts, Ive been told in some places that short posts mean Im stupid, now Im being told the opposite here,
I dont mean to offend.
sorry again, and keep with me you wont regret how hard I work

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:36 
Glory Hound

Whether you set up a spread sheet or not, is entirely up to you, it doesn't have to be extremely pretty, I'll do a write over either way.

For room names, you could install Adventure Game Studio, do a fork in git from Sourceforge, or refer to the map previously posted by deltamatrix. It doesn't cover individual room names in the town, but just describe the room, and I'll be able to look it up.

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:01 
Site Admin

If possible, I'd prefer everyone use this map for now. It reflects the current room status outside of town.

Thanks!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

PostPosted: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:35 
Casual Adventurer

heya
didnt know you would allow me to open the ags in terms of coding
some people dont want ya too like qfi team for example, as it would contain some eggs or such,

no worries
and ill use the map and or ags

PostPosted: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:18 
Glory Hound

Infamous Quests have been developing a commercial title, so it comes naturally that they keep things locked down. Our game development however is open-source, anyone can fork the project from Sourceforge and do whatever they want with whatever build that is uploaded at that time.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next