Hero6
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024 02:48

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Hero6 is back!
PostPosted: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:33 
Site Admin

Hi all! My name is Robert and I live outside of Portland, OR, USA.

I came across the Hero6 project a few years ago, right at the tail-end of the previous effort to complete the game. I posted on the forum to encourage a regrouping effort, but a few months later the forum was shutdown and the source code published. I downloaded the source code and allowed it to collect virtual dust over the next few years.

During this time, I've maintained an academic and hobby interest in computer science projects (e.g., web development, programming, etc.). When I finally had some free time, I started to review the Hero6 source code.

The majority of artwork appears to be complete, about 80 to 90 percent. However, several game mechanics and graphic user interfaces have issues. If we can correct these issues and create a stable game system (entirely possible since we are using the Adventure Game Studio software), we can then focus on story development, dialogue, and determine any additional features/graphics required before an official release.

I don't have a time estimate as I am the only official contributor at this time. However, volunteers are waiting in the wings and, together, we'll get Hero6 completed.

Welcome to the site, have a look around, and watch out for antwerps!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

Post subject: Re: Hero6 is back!
PostPosted: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 17:06 
Casual Adventurer

Hello, I'm Jared Gristina and I live down in south Louisiana.
I've played all the QFG games since the age of the tandy 1000 and me and my brothers solved each and every one to entirety almost to a level of insanity in which time we also ventured off into space quest, kings quest, conquest for camelot and many more sierra games.

I've been studying game programming and art for about 15 years or more and have always had a deep desire to make a multiplayer, online version of QFG, which I've already done in the past but had to discontinue for copyright reasons. Now I'm working on a new multiplayer QFG style game similar to H6 with all of our own custom content.

I've watched H6 for several years and was greatly dismayed at it's end, but with this renewed interest, new beginning and most importantly a new leader I am here to help in any way I can!

I am quite honestly working on several large projects at this time but will try my best to help fix the code, art and anything else Robert may need to finally see this project to its most deserving completion!

We must not let the hard work of an entire community go to waste, so please help support him in this quest to save hero6!

PostPosted: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:25 
Eager Beavertaur

Hello my name is John live in Albuquerque New Mexico but originally from Newark Delaware. Wow great to have this being made after all. Big fan of all Quest for glory games.

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:09 
Glory Hound

Hiya, hiya! Pleased to meetcha!

24 year old software engineering student from Norway. While the other kids were playing Counter-Strike I was fiddling away with point-and-click games, since my father deemed the old IBM he handed down to me was as good as anything I would ever need.

Discovered the original Hero6 website in my early early teens, was disappointed greatly when the site eventually died out. Got excited again when deltamatrix posted the source material public, and then crashed down when no one seemed to want to work with it.

Today I became nostalgic and decided to search around for the latest word on Hero6 when I stumbled upon this site, great initiative!

I will definitely start analyzing the source code and see if I can make contributions from next week on, when I'm done with the school project I'm currently working on.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:08 
Casual Adventurer

Hi,

I'm deltamatrix and I'm from the UK.

Been officially involved with Hero6 since 2003 and made several minor efforts on the old MAD engine. It was me who initiated the first reboot onto AGS in 2007 but was sad to see interest fade away yet again.
I released the source in 2011 when it was clear that it was dead and I had no time to continue it - though I still dream of its completion or a similar game.

Indeed the code needs a rewrite but it is not easy to maintain scalable code in AGS as you are forced to distribute your events into various places such as the individual room scripts. Anyone up for such a tough challenge?

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:44 
Eager Beavertaur

Hey guys!

I'm Jake, and I'm from Hawaii.

I don't remember when I joined, but it was a long time ago. Made a few bad puns for some random in-town descriptions, and in the 2011 attempt at relaunching the project wrote out some scripting for the cart scene.

I am absolutely terrible with anything that even resembles code, but looking forward to getting more involved. Honestly, just throw dialogue/descriptions that are needed my way and I'll get it done.

PostPosted: Fri, 09 May 2014 20:08 
Eager Beavertaur

I'll toss my hat in, sure.

I was Cyst on the project back in '02, and man, a round of applause to the people who managed to find my twitter and make me aware this was going on after all these years. That was some good sleuthin'.

I was a sprite artist and pinch-hitting dialogue writer back in the day. As it turns out, I have all my old sprite files (who knew?) so if things are missing I can give 'em up.

In terms of my availability to help the project, it's rather limited these days, I'm afraid, as I'm in the AAA game making business, but I'll help where I can. :)

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 06:27 
Eager Beavertaur

Nice to see another person trying to revive this!

I'm Mew151, and I was one of the first 20ish members on the project way back when it started. I forgot the year exactly, but I believe I was only 10, so I didn't have much to contribute. I was a bit of a playtester/opinion giver/cheerleader for a number of years, though, and was really sad when everything fell by the wayside.

I still don't have a ton of game-dev related skills (I'm a web developer now and I have a Let's Play channel on YouTube) but I'd love to continue testing/giving opinions/cheerleading.

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:54 
Site Admin

Great to have you back! The current build is available on the Sourceforge page. We're accepting player feedback so feel free to start testing.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 02:09 
Eager Beavertaur

Hello everyone. (Hello Delta, Cyst and Mew.)

Okay Robert. What do you need from the old art and animations?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next