Hero6
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:17

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hero6.com
PostPosted: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 03:31 
Site Admin

I decided to reach out to the owners of Hero6.com. I'm hoping they might be able to grant me access to the old forums or perhaps provide a copy. I'd hate for any production materials to be wasted.
Unfortunately, I have no idea who they are. I ran a whois search and contacted the registrant. He was very nice, but said he was not responsible for the site and he directed me to someone else (I'd rather not use real names for privacy).
I'm still waiting to hear back from this person and I'll keep you all informed of any progress.

P.S. If anyone knows who runs Hero6.com, would you mind contacting me via direct message or send an email to hero6lives@gmail.com

Thanks!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

Post subject: Re: Hero6.com
PostPosted: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 21:05 
Eager Beavertaur

Hi again Robert,

So I've always owned the domain hero6.com, and for a long time I owned the host as well. But now Luke (aka coco) is paying for the host. The only reason either still exists is because Luke still uses the server for personal reasons and I am too lazy to transfer the domain to him. I don't know if Luke has kept the hero6 database alive, or if he surrendered to the spam, but he'd at least be the best bet for a backup.

Luke's a cool guy. I'm sure he'll work with you. Maybe our email went to his spam box. I'd try emailing him again. If you can't reach him, I'll go check my computer for a backup (I haven't turned it on in years, so I'm not sure if I have one)

Honestly though, I would have sworn hero6 development moved over to a secret agdi forum. Whomever was responsible for that migration should have a backup, plus have whatever progress was made there. If agdi is still around, you might want to try inquiring there

Joe

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 00:11 
Site Admin

Thanks again for getting back to me. I emailed with Luke. He's going to take a look around the forums when he gets some free time.

I sat on the source code for most of last year waiting to see if development would resume. Eventually, I decided that I might as well start the wheel turning again. I checked in with most of the adventure game forums and everyone seemed to think that the project was still dead. If another effort is underway, I'd be happy to collaborate.

It sounds like the site has become a bit of a hassle. Having just rolled out this site, I can understand why. If its not too presumptuous, I'd be willing to discuss the future of Hero6.com with you privately. I'm not looking to step on any toes, I just wanted to put that out there.

Thanks for stopping by the forum too! It means a lot to me that you took the time to check in.

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:42 
Glory Hound

AGDI was just hosting it seems, and was not at any time a part of the development. Still it might be a good idea to ask around if there would be any chance of being allowed to check out the private forum.

Whatever you had planned about hero6.com Robert, and however it turns out. It might be a good idea to ask if at least there could be one extra post to the front page(assuming that is still possible), referring people to hero6.org. It is still #1 hit on google for hero6, so it might make people more aware of the most current project.

I'll put in some reading material
http://www.infamous-adventures.com/foru ... 1#msg71251
http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... entry46611

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:04 
Site Admin

I've been tracking the Infamous Quests, Quest for More Glory, AGS, Phoenix Online Studios, and AGDI forums throughout the process. I've made a few posts, but I didn't feel comfortable launching any kind of official announcement until we were closer to alpha.
From what I've read, fan development can get out of hand very quickly and I'd really like to avoid that. With a post-alpha announcement, we can keep development scaled back to the few dedicated contributors that are actively seeking resolution to this project.
That being said, I'm not opposed to forwarding or even merging the Hero6.com and Hero6.org websites. However, my motivation for doing that has less to do with network traffic and search engine ranking and more to do with reclaiming the wealth of background information available on that site. I understand why they took it down, but I really dig the idea of creating a short history of this project and providing a read-only version of the old forums. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to be able to credit contributors appropriately in the credits.

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:19 
Glory Hound

I know, I would absolutely adore having read access to the old forums too, I spent so much time reading about all kinds of stuff there that was just plain inspirational, and in retrospect, maybe a tad bit too ambitious.

The networking part wasn't meant as pure promotion, but maybe if more poeple discovered the project, more poeple more people came along and wanted to assist in some form or another, the list of people right now is kinda short.

Speaking of credits, I've been having a thought in my head about that we start keeping a list of people that has been contributing to Hero6 over the years. The sooner we start, the better, there has been so many people over the years it's kinda unrealistisc to get them all down.

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 19:21 
Site Admin

I was thinking that we do a Thank You page for now. For in-game credits, we could probably list major contributors and include a link to the Thank You page.

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 04:00 
Eager Beavertaur

Okay. I see you're discussing it here.

As for AGDI, well, that's partly my fault. AGDI started to work on the project a few years ago, with Delta and myself, but real-life caught up to me and typically me I feel so guilty I simply disappear. Delta then decided to release it to the public, which is what you have.

There are quite a few things that happened, including Wookie rewriting the plot for us (last I heard he was quite mad at me for having him do all the hard work and then dropping it. :( )

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:43 
Site Admin

Gronagor wrote:
There are quite a few things that happened, including Wookie rewriting the plot for us (last I heard he was quite mad at me for having him do all the hard work and then dropping it. :( )

I'm not sure if we have the Wookie rewrite. If he's willing to contribute, I'd be happy to read it over.

PostPosted: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:23 
Glory Hound

robertkety wrote:
I'm not sure if we have the Wookie rewrite. If he's willing to contribute, I'd be happy to read it over.

Was there any word on this? Is the Wookie rewrite the one we already have on Google Drive?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next