Hero6
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024 01:36

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:27 
Site Admin

For those of you who are unaware, the Hero6.org website runs on a private server that I own. Although most of its processing power and resources goes into running the behemoth known as Windows Vista, there exists a small corner that contains the server software and this forum.
Altogether, it's about 150-200 megabytes (sans logs). Hardly a bounty of information for the would-be snooper. Still, that did not stop an anonymous ne'er-do-well from attempting to circumvent our security measures.

Fortunately, ChamberOfFear noticed a drastic increase of traffic and notified me via the Hero6 IRC channel. We quickly ascertained that the site was the victim in a DDOS attack. Specifically, they pointed a botnet at our site and attempted to exploit an earlier version of Wordpress. They also attempted to bypass the administrator login for Wordpress.

From what I understand, Wordpress is often the target for botnet recruitment. I only used it to decrease development time for the forum. Rest assured, Hero6.org is safe. I would gladly nuke the site and re-install from our backup before I allowed the site to become a slave to the darker corners of the Internet.

No hard feeling though. "Haters gonna hate" and "hackers gonna hack", I suppose. Hopefully, they have a good sense of humor though. I redirected their traffic here (safe for viewing).

:lol:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 22:20 
Site Admin

We had a small resurgence of activity after my last post. The high number of redirects were overloading the server. I installed some additional software that will filter out the bad traffic from now on.

I apologize for any server outages that occurred during that time.

The good news is that the countermeasures are performing as expected and the site has run smoothly for the past week. It's a good thing too! I have a major announcement planned for the 30th and I want to make sure the server is stable!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]