Hero6
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:40

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Social media and you
PostPosted: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:31 
Site Admin

Well, the forums have been pretty quiet since the ISP issue back in February. I'm still lurking around everyday and intend to keep the forum on line. I've even been in touch with an old buddy about hosting the cite from his web server.
However, in an effort to keep interested parties up-to-date on development, I've begun streaming my interactions via Twitter and Facebook.

Also, Sourceforge is turning out to be very effective for tracking progress via its ticket system. I continue to add tickets so we'll have a better assessment of how close we are to v1.0. I want to have the majority of tickets posted by the end of this month. Anyone who wants to work on the game can fork off the Public git, complete a ticket, and request a merge.

Please add us to your social media and feel free to ask questions!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

Post subject: Re: Social media and you
PostPosted: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 21:53 
Glory Hound

What is v1.0 in this context? Normally version 1.0 would indicate when the game is fit for release. Or is it a breaking point similar to the task system I suggested a few months back where we develop all aspects of a given part of the game before we start focusing on something else?

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 23:13 
Site Admin

v1.0 is the official release, meaning that we've completed all production efforts and addressed testing feedback. Both of these will be handled via the ticket system in Sourceforge. Tickets are arranged by milestone so we can assess which areas of the game require more attention. Additionally, each ticket can be assigned to a Sourceforge user - that provides us accountability for our volunteer pool.

This system is a combination of the system you suggested and the innate working of the Sourceforge ticket system. Since we're using an open-source concept, anyone can submit work for the game. For those of us who are committed to regular work on the game, we can search by milestone or tag. Sorting tickets by the milestone should be straightforward. Tags are implemented during ticket creation and include "creative", "scripting", "animation", "sprite", "GUI", "bugs", and "view". Just perform a search using a tag and you'll receive the grouping you prefer. Anyone who desires can lead ticket resolution for any section available.
Also, I'm posting tickets as I encounter issues, but anyone should be able to submit a ticket. Currently, I'm only compiling tickets for Room Scripts, but I've set milestones for Spells, Dialogs, and the Combat System.

So, by all means, let's focus on one section at a time, but I think it's important that we have a system in place that provides for casual contributions as well. Eventually, we'll need a system for receiving feedback from play testers. This information system should support both needs while maintaining consistency for the primary development members.

P.S. I noticed that you're adding tickets while I'm writing this. Thanks for that! :D

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 00:25 
Glory Hound

I took a good hour to test different combinations of clicks and so, and noticed some strange things happening that should not be happening. Tickets followed accordingly. ;)

I seem to unnable to assign myself to a sourceforge ticket, does everyone has to go by the owner to get assigned to a ticket?

If we want to keep track of our progress just managing by tickets could grow difficult after a while though. Filter or not. We just as well might end up with millions of tickets.
I think we might need something similar of a shared Product Backlog to track general goals and the following subtasks/tickets, as well as progress. I could try to make a rough sketch later if sounds good, a synopsis of suck a backlog could also works as a progress measure, that could be posted on the front page or the sourceforge wiki so web surfers can see how we're doing.

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 00:58 
Site Admin

I know what you mean. I started bundling 20 rooms to a ticket for the function naming standards.

I'd love to see what you have in mind. Feel free to post the sketch or email me at robertkety@hero6.org

Thanks again for posting tickets! I made some promises over on the Steam Community to have that up and running by the end of the month. I'm hoping to post more tickets throughout next week.

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 01:35 
Site Admin

I added you as a developer on SF. I believe you have to be at least a member before you can be assigned a ticket. Let me know if the new permissions do not work for you.

Have to be up in under 4 hours. Time for some sleep ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]