Hero6
It is currently Mon, 18 Mar 2024 21:17

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Website Down
PostPosted: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:07 
Site Admin

Did you have any issues accessing Hero6.org today? About an hour after I went to bed (0600 PST), my server went down. I restarted it when I woke up (1200 PST) and everything is back online.
This isn't typical behavior, but I believe I traced the issue to my ISP provider who pushed a firmware upgrade to my modem. Oh well, all in the name of progress I suppose.
In the meantime, I've created an off-site git for the game files on SourceForge

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

Post subject: Re: Website Down
PostPosted: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:11 
Glory Hound

Kewl. Do you plan on utilizing git for the development?

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:36 
Site Admin

Honestly, I'm still new to using git. I chose SourceForge because it offers other options like a wiki. I have a lot to learn in using both SourceForge and git for development. I figure I'd start using it for off-site storage and see if we run into any errors (not sure how AGS will handle push/pulls from git).
I've been using github for a few months now for school, which is why I chose to use git through SourceForge. Do you have any experience with git development?

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:01 
Glory Hound

Been using github with Netbeans and sometimes Eclipse for 2 - 2,5 years on school projects. I'm not an expert as I've allways limited myself to push, pulls and resolving conflicts, and just recently took up using branches to develop in separate environments on the same projects.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wi ... ce_Control
The link above suggests using Git is entirely possible, but it probably requires some moderating. One idea that pops into mind, if git has that power, is to make branches for tasks, components, modules and whatever that needs to be done. Then add individual collaborators that has volunteered for the task to the specific branch, allowing them to add to code in a separate environment. This leaves the one with the rights to the master build being able to investige the code, and can then make the decision to implement it, or leave some feedback for better solutions on sourceforge.

It would work exactly the same as how we've been communicating with this forum, but reading code and etc. on sourceforge would be much simpler and more convenient.

I have two more school assignments to catch up with, but I plan to finish them before I go to bed, leaving me free for the weekend, so I could investigate version control in AGS if you want me to.

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:10 
Site Admin

Gah! The ISP drama thickens! Apparently, Xfinity was in the neighborhood and was messing with signal distribution. Since I have multiple modems drawing off the main line, the signal loss put both modems out of commission. I've reset everything. Hopefully, this won't happen again. Otherwise, I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for some web hosting.

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:34 
Site Admin

I created a forum for the Sourceforge/Git conversation. It's certainly a good idea and we'll need the forum to communicate its development/maintenance.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]