Hero6
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:43

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 08:58 
Casual Adventurer

Hello everyone

I was looking into the script for room 104 and it references the two videos I mentioned. However, they are nowhere to be found in the game files. Do we have them someplace else or are the names simply placeholders?

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 12:08 
Site Admin

I pulled the videos a while back since they did not function properly. I think there was one for the Healer as well. I'll make sure those videos are available soon. I put them on our Google Drive, but I'm not sure we should put them back into the source until we can implement that feature properly.

In the meantime, you can always find the videos in the Compiled folder of the 'Hero6_src_0302.rar' file on Sourceforge in 'Source Files/2009 Files'.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:21 
Glory Hound

I'll confirm that playing our videos are not functioning properly. However I think we should forget about them completely, or at least currently, for several reasons.

1: The videos doesn't really serve much purpose.
They're very short, and doesn't contribute anything to plot, gameplay or visuals. As far as I can tell the videos are mostly the same background of what's currently supposed to be on a screen with a fancy fade in/out effect slapped on. We can likely emulate something similar in AGS.

2: Poor AVI support
The videos are AVI, which is poorly supported in AGS.
Quote:
However, in order for these to work on the player's system, they will need to have the correct codecs installed. For example, if you create your video with the XVid codec, the player will need to have XVid installed to be able to view it. These types of video cannot be included into the game EXE, so you will have to place them separately in the Compiled folder for them to work.

Anything that involves the end-user installing extra stuff should be avoided in my opinion. If we're willing to risk data loss, we can convert the videos to OGV, which is better supported.
Quote:
The first is OGG Theora, which is a recently introduced video file format. AGS has built-in support for playing these videos, so everyone who plays your game will be able to see the video. OGG Theora videos are also built into the game EXE file when you compile the game (just make sure the file has a .OGV extension and is placed in your main game folder).

Both quotes are pulled off the AGS Manual

3: Undecided plot
We've yet to begin work on the plot as we're still collecting information. This means that we have no idea if the sequence where the videos are supposed to take place will make the final cut.

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:14 
Site Admin

I think videos were meant to be dream sequences like when you slept by Erana's wand-in-the-stone in QfG4.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What good is knowledge and wisdom if you can't use it?" - Erasmus

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:20 
Casual Adventurer

Thanks for the clarification

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 02:21 
Casual Adventurer

Hiya,

I was the one who actually created the videos.

The two eloia dream sequence videos (fade in and fade out) were originally intended to occur on the first death of the hero in battle (which was forced for some reason) only to be rescued by Greenleaf (or a random Paladin called Kara if you are a fighter). This was in the older 2006 demo

In the 2009 demo, we decided to reuse the same idea but differently, we knew we wanted the dream sequence idea but weren't completely decided on the best time to trigger it. I believe its currently via entering the dark forest when your not ready.

Our basic idea was essentially to steal the Erana dream idea from QFG4 yes!

We also had a bubbling cauldron avi for another plot idea. Even though it was me who animated and rendered the videos, I still didn't truly understand what it was for, I just saw it on a TODO list and did it LOL. The runes in the liquid actually spell the word CLAY (I don't remember what type of runes I used though)